The California Department of Transportation (CALTRANS) is currently phasing out the use of the K-Rail highway barrier system as it implements updated safety standards from the Manual for Assessing Safety Hardware (MASH). Responding to the change, Jensen Precast has selected the J-J Hooks highway barrier system to replace K-Rail for customers who need barriers approved by CALTRANS for MASH use.
Jensen Precast is a licensed manufacturer of J-J Hooks highway barriers, which are produced in CALTRANS-approved lengths of 12.5 feet and 20 feet. J-J Hooks barriers are licensed through Easi-Set Worldwide, a Smith-Midland Corporation subsidiary.
- December 31.2019 was the final day to many facture K-Rail for use in CALTRANS-related projects
- December 31.2026 is the last for advertised CALTRANS- related projects to use the existing K-rail manufactured by December 31, 2019 (maybe used until completion of projects).
- January 1, 2027 is the first day all newly advertised projects must use only MASH-approved barriers for CALTRANS-related projects
The J-J Hooks connection consists of two identical steel J-shaped hooks, which are cast into the barrier, creating a continuous steel connection. With identical end connections, there is no need to worry about turning the barrier when installing. To attach the barrier ends, one barrier is lowered vertically next to an adjacent barrier. With minimal guidance, the self-aligning connection automatically hooks into place. No endangering workers’ hands by inserting them between barriers to make a connection.
FEATURES & BENEFITS
- The only concrete barrier systems with no pins, bolts, or loose hardware that meets and exceeds MASH Test Level 3 requirements.
- Self-aligning barriers automatically hook into place.
- Identical ends allow for turning barrier end-for-end.
- Fastest setting times and lowest installation costs.
- One barrier can be removed without disturbing adjacent barriers.
- Self-aligning connections means no need to jostle barriers when installing or removing pins that bind.
- Theft-proof connections means no missing or stolen pins and no loose hardware.
- Requires smaller installation crew.
- A three-person crew can install more than one mile of barrier in eight hours.
Jensen Precast will continue to take orders on K-Rail barriers based on existing inventory and within CALTRANS-designated timeframes.
If you are interested in J-J Hooks barriers, contact your Jensen Precast Representative, email CAbarrier@jensenprecast.com, or call (775) 352-2700.